I remember my childhood days when my mom used to prepare Tok Dal on our special demand during summer season. I & my siblings used to enjoy this delicious dal having a mixture of sweet and sour taste. Today I will present this
1. Matar Dal/ Masoor Dal – 1 cup
2. Water – 2 cups
3. Whole cumin seeds – 5 teaspoon
4. Mango – 1 big raw mango
5. Mustard oil – 2 Tablespoon
6. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
7. Red Chilli – 1 big dry
8. Ginger paste – ½ teaspoon
9. Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
10. Sugar – As per taste
11. Salt to taste
12. Water to dilute – 2 cups
1. Wash the Matar Dal properly and pressure cook it for 5-7 minutes with 2 cups of water, till the dal becomes soft and well cooked.
2. Take a pan and dry roast the cumin seeds on slow flame for 1-2 minutes, till it becomes crispy.
3. Now grind the cumin seed in a mixer or you can also roll it out with a belon on a hard surface to make a powder.
4. Now cut the green mango into thin slices and wash them.
5. In a pan heat 2 tabelspoon of mustard oil. Take mustard seeds and add to the oil, also add whole red chilli, ginger paste and turmeric powder. Let the mustard seeds splutter then add the mango slice to the mixture and fry it for few minutes.
6. to this mixture add the cooked dal and add 2 cups of water, salt and sugar. Cover the pan and let it cook in moderate flame for 10 minutes or cook till the mango slices becomes soft. When finally cooked add 2 teaspoon of roasted cumin powder.
7. Serve hot or even you can serve it as a side drinks accompanying lunch.